While I love home accessories, I get irritated with decor for decor’s sake. I’m not a huge nicknack girl and I hate faux fruit/floral and that sort of thing. I prefer that dual-purpose accessories – to me, almost everything should be useful and decorative (and yes, real flowers count as useful)!
If you simply make sure that everything in plain view serves a purpose and aesthetically contributes to the space, then you’re on the right track. For instance, if you use matches to light candles all of the time, why not get a snazzy looking pack of matches that not only does its job, but also looks good while it’s sitting out?
It’s all about upgrading to well-designed items that will get some use and emit style. Thoughtful details – even seemingly insignificant ones like a candy dish- can complete the look of a room, so don’t overlook them. To illustrate my point, here are some accessories picks that look cool and serve a purpose:
1) Caldrea Refillable Hand Soap - Grounded – $18
2) Graphic Image Python Photo Album - Barney’s – $195
3) Dolomite Alarm Clock - Barn Light Electric – $50
4) Turning Triangles Terrarium - Urban Outfitters – $39
5) Mercer Golden White Tray - Vivre $290
6) Fallen Birch Branch Votive Set - Terrain – $48
7) Blue Potted Accent Lamp - World Market – $25
8) Waylande Gregory Red Pineapple Oblong Box - Vivre – $235
Soap: Next to every sink, there should be soap so don’t miss out on the opportunity to make a necessity a stylish accessory.
Boxes: Pretty boxes conceal not-so-pretty things like remotes, phone chargers, business cards, and the like.
Well…what are your thoughts on the matter? Do you like your home accessories to serve a purpose too? Or are you ok with purely decorative accents? I’m not entirely dogmatic about the form-function balance but I don’t like too many objets. It’s definitely a slippery slope with nicknacks…I’d say one or two per room is a good limit!